The certificate program prepares students to apply scientific principles and technical skills in support of a variety of laboratories. The program includes instruction in standard laboratory practices and procedures; techniques for analysis, testing and inspection; laboratory instrumentation and equipment operation and maintenance; laboratory and materials handling safety; and computer applications that would apply to the broad spectrum of biotechnology industries including health and medical, industrial and environmental, food and agriculture, as well as other emerging industries in the growing field of biotechnology. This advanced certificate program requires a prior degree award in a science field as well as specific science course work, or the permission of the Director of Biosciences.
These skills include:
- Lab safety
- Solution and media preparation
- Protein isolation and separation techniques
- Laboratory notebook record keeping
- Cell culture
- Molecular techniques
- Some biomanufacturing techniques
- Practical workplace skills to provide a smooth transition of student into the technical environment of bioscience and related industries.
How do I know if this program is right for me?
- Do you have a science degree but struggle finding a job utilizing your degree?
- Do you love science?
What is the purpose of this program?
- To provide a skill set to students who have a high interest in science
- To provide research labs and industry with skilled technicians
- To provide applicable knowledge of the biotechnological skills needed today
- To fill the gaps between basic science education and the real world with real jobs
Where will this certificate take me?
- A career in medical research
- A career in agricultural research
- A career in the food industry
- A career in biopharmaceuticals
- A career in quality control
- A career in biofuels
Explore the Program
We provide a complete biotechnology curriculum in an online lecture format with corresponding lab courses delivered face-to-face. This program is geared toward students with strong science backgrounds who lack laboratory experience and skills necessary for marketable industry professions.
We are happy to talk with you regarding your interest in the Advanced Biotechnology Program at MATC. Contact Barb Wenger, Director of Bioscience, (785)320-4506 to schedule your visit today!